Memories of Chris

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Goodbye for Now, Dad!

O.H.Christoffersen M.D. returned home to Heavenly Father 24 April 2008 at age 86. He was born in Seattle, WA 19 Nov 1921. In his more than 40 yrs of OB/GYN practice he delivered more than 10,000 babies. He graduated from George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. in 1946 and then served in the Army Medical Corp during the Korean War in Korea. He moved to Las Vegas in 1955, becoming the 3rd trained Obstetrician in the city. He served as Chief of Staff of Rose de Lima Hospital in 1958 and of Women's Hospital in the 80's. He was president of Clark County Medical Society in 1961 and served on the State Welfare Board from 1960 - 1968 under Gov. Grant Sawyer. He was an avid hunter, boater, and pilot and enjoyed any outdoor recreation, climbing both Mt. Ranier and Mt.Whitney and backpacking into Yosemite at age 65 with the Scouts. He joined the LDS Church in 1971 and enjoyed serving in many capacities: such as Scoutmaster and in other Scouting positions, in the Bishopric, Stake High Council and served in the Las Vegas Temple. 'Dr. Chris' always had a smile and a joke for everyone and never said or repeated a bad thing about anyone, he worked hard at keeping and being a friend. He is survived by his wife of 37 years Jeri and his children: Carl (Leslie) Christoffersen, Ann (Chris) Pierce and Brit Lesnett, John Morrison, Byron (Sommer) Christoffersen and Amy (Andrew) Fugal. Another son Gerald Morrison preceeded him in death. He has 10 grandchildren: Lauren (Christoffersen) Corp, Stephen and Cara Christoffersen, Christopher and Nicole Lesnett, Bryan, Matthew, Emily and Elizabeth Fugal and Wyatt Christoffersen. Dad we'll miss you and we love you.

Viewing will be at Davis Funeral Home on Thursday 1 May from 6 - 8 PM. Funeral services on Friday 2 May at 10AM at Seven Hills LDS Chapel at 985 Rich Perez Jr. Dr. off Horizon behind Coronado High School with a viewing at 9AM. Internment to follow at Davis Cemetery.

We would love to use this opportunity to gather any comments you may have about Chris. We would love to read about past memories, funny stories, or just your thoughts and feelings about this dear man. Below this post will be the word "comments." Please click on this link and follow the directions. To read all of the other comments made, click on the above title, "Goodbye for Now, Dad!" You will be sent to a page almost similar to this one, only with all the comments that have been made about Chris. If possible, this blog will be created into a professionally bound book for the family. Check back often for the additon of pictures, slideshows, and information concerning the funeral.

11 comments:

Kathy Christoffersen said...

Dear Uncle Bud,
You'll always be Uncle Bud to me although you are really my favorite brother-in-law. From the first time we met and you gave me your warm smile I knew we'd be friends. Our families have spent many moments together making memories and you were always a main part of those fun times. Listening to you tell stories and me wishing for more stories, kidding you about taking all those pictures which you never showed us are just a few thoughts that come to mind now. Whenever I make a Dutch Baby I will want to share it with you. You know your brother will be happy to eat your share. It's hard to believe I'll never chat with you again on Earth.
Think of the new things I am going to learn about you this weekend as we get together as a family and celebrate your life. I know your presence will be strongly felt.
Thank you for your love, acceptance and for always making me feel you I could count on you and I hope you felt the same from me.
You and your family will always be in my heart.
Love,
Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

28 Apr 2008

I was a young boy when Dr. Chris moved in just two doors down from my house. I already knew Sis. Chris. She had been my den mother when I was an eight year old Cub Scout. Sis. Chris had some hamsters that had babies and we all got to learn about hamsters. By the time they were big enough to leave their mother, each one of the Cub Scouts knew all about taking care of hamsters and was given his own hamster to take home. The key-ring holder and hot pad holder I made as a Cub Scout with Sis. Chris still hangs on the walls of my parent’s cabin in Pine Valley. There’s one by the front door still holding keys; the other is over by the stove still holding hot pads.

Dr. Chris soon became a great friend to our family. Dad and Mom were always doing things with Dr. and Sis. Chris. Dr. Chris delivered my three youngest siblings. I remember waking up one morning to find that Mom and Dad weren’t home, but were at the hospital. I don’t remember if this was when Steve, Mardell or Cynthia was born, but I do remember that Mom told me she called over to Dr. Chris’ house in the middle of the night to tell him it was time, and he came over and drove them all to the hospital. We all know OB/GYNs deliver babies, but how often does an OB/GYN also deliver the expecting parents to the hospital?

Not long after that I was a young Boy Scout when Dr. Chris was first called to serve as a scoutmaster of Troop 107. I was really worried about this. He seemed to me to be too old to keep up with a bunch of young scouts. And I wondered how this busy Dr. was ever going to have time to take us camping. Doctors were always on call, especially those that delivered babies. You know, you just can’t schedule when those babies are going to come. What I soon learned was that long before this kind gentle man was a Doctor, he was a cowboy. And he knew a thing or too about camping and being outdoors. And while Dr. Chris may not have had time to take boys camping, he made the time to do just that.

One of my favorite campouts was early one spring when he took us out to his ranch. He had a partner that lived out at the ranch and took care of the day-to-day operations, but in the spring when it was time to brand the new calves Dr. Chris traded his scrubs for his jeans and boots. He told us he needed help branding the calves and we were all excited to leave town for the ranch on that Friday afternoon. At the ranch we set up tents, cooked dinner over a fire and went to bed. Early the next morning he put us to work. We carried wood and lit a fire inside the coral that was used to keep the branding irons hot. He let us catch the calves and help him tie their legs up so they couldn’t kick us while being branded. He showed us how to push the hot iron against the calf’s hide and then he let us do it by ourselves.

It was painful for the calves and they sure made a lot of noise when the red hot branding iron was pushed into their side. And man, what a stink! I can still smell the stink of the calves burning hair. I watched wide-eyed as he pulled out his pocket knife and with no hesitation at all reached down and castrated a young bull. Then he tossed the testicles high up into the air over his shoulder without ever looking up. I never knew dogs could jump so high or would fight so hard for such a prize. Dr. Chris then applied some medicine to the wound, untied the calf, and let it run back to its mother.

I was just a young boy and felt sick in my stomach. I was shocked by what I had just witnessed and could hardly remain standing. I felt sorry for the calves. I needed to find a place to sit down. I felt like crying, but I didn’t. Instead, I stayed there and continued to help. I soon got over the shock. And I, a city kid, did a lot of growing up that day.

Today, that young scout finds himself feeling like an old man himself. I’ve served as a scoutmaster and given several young scouts plenty of opportunity to worry about me. I hope I’ve done as well as Dr. Chris did. I’ll always remember Dr. Chris as a great scoutmaster and as the wonderful friend he has always been to the Terry family. May the Lord’s choicest blessings and sweet spirit of peace be with Sis. Chris, John, Bryon, Amy and all of Dr. Chris’ family at this time.

Bret L. Terry
Plano, TX
tx.terrytribe@verizon.net

Diva Donna said...

A few lessons I learned from Dr. Chris when he was an old retired man and I was a college girl hanging out with his kids:

When you go hunting wear orange and walk softly.

The two rules about water-skiing are: first, hold on tight to the rope, and second, wipe down the boat when you get home.

Ice cream won’t fix the problem, but it will taste good while you talk about what will.

Real service is done quietly and with an open heart.

Giving good advice is not as important as listening.

Life is about living boldly and taking others along on the journey.

Trials give you great stories for your kids and grandkids to learn from.

True priesthood is immense power wielded gently and humbly.

Chris, thanks for all the lessons and for your friendship.
For Jeri, Amy, Byron and the rest of the family, my deepest and most fervent hope is that you will find peace to help you through saying goodbye and remember that enjoying life is a great way to honor Chris because that is what he would wish for you.

My prayers are with you,
Donna

Anonymous said...

The first time we met Chris was when he married Jeri, we had a congratulation wedding party for them at our home with all our friends. We didn't realize how close we would become over the next few years.

Chris was such a kind, soft spoken person, always willing to give and to serve. When Chris joined the Church he jumped in with both feet, he loved the gospel and had a strong testimony of Jesus Christ and the atonement, he lived his life that way.

Chris was a counselor to LaMar when he was bishop, after they were released Chris was called to be the scout master and the Lamar was called to be assistant scout master. They loved working together, they went to Woodbadge at Camp Del Webb for a week and had a great time.

He delivered our last 3 children, he was a great Dr.

He loved hunting with LaMar and the boys and they went often, a couple years before his death he was still the best shot of all of them, while fishing in San Felipi, Chris caught so many yellow tuna that he got wore out, he gave up his pole "and he liked to fish". We spent many hours with our families on the lake water skiiig, we spent time at the condo in Brian Head snow skiing. Our families did many fun things together.

LaMar reflects on the time when Chris and he built homes together and finally ended up building our own homes next to each other. What a fun time we had as neighbors, we loved having Jeri and Chris as back door friends. We spend a lot of time together, we have missed them so much since they moved. Chris and LaMar shared a lot of icecream together and we had breakfast together often.

Chris thanks for being such a great friend and mentor in our lives. We send our love, thoughts and prayers to Jeri and all the family, we love you.

LaMar and Sharon

Anonymous said...

I will always think of Bro. & Sis. Chris as my "other mom & dad". Bro. Chris was so kind to me as a little girl who always seemed to be at his house when he came home. Whether it was putting up with endless hours in the pool or stitching up my head after a backyard fort collapsed, Bro. Chris always made me feel loved without ever having to say anything. Thanks so much for putting up with the little thumb-sucking girl next door who only ate peanut butter and the cookies on your counter. I'll miss you!

Mardell Terry Burton

Stephen said...

Dr. Chris delivered my twin brother and I on a busy night in Womens' Hospital over thirty years ago. I know my family and I will miss him very much.

-Stephen Harris
Dallas, TX

Anonymous said...

Dad -
Many memories will carry your spirit forever. Know that you were an inspiration to me, the education I pursued, the mountains I climbed, and most importantly to the value of family and children that Leslie and I raised. We love you and will miss you. May the crosswinds be gentle on your wings as you land in heaven.
Carl

Anonymous said...

Dad -

You were such a wonderful father who was always there with love & support and taught me so many things. My life is full of the gifts you gave and you will stay in my heart and thoughts forever. I will miss your physical presence so much - your voice, your laughter and your hugs - but, I know you will be with me in many other ways to come.

I'm so glad we got your "story" written and remember, "Don't take any wooden nickels".

I love you! Annie

Anonymous said...

I thought of this poem we sung in jazz choir as we threw our flowers, and I wanted to share it because I think this is how Grandpa would want to be thought of- not in a coffin in the ground, but in nature and surrounding us everywhere.

In Remembrance
Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grains
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the sweet uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight;
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry-
I am not there
I did not die.

Grandpa, I wish I had more time to spend with you, and that I had made more of an effort in the time we had, but know that I love you with all my heart and I will never forget your strong, loving presence, your great laugh, your bowls of ice cream, and your soft, grumbly voice whenever I came to visit. You are such an inspiration to me in all that you did, and I know I will be content with my life if I live the way you have. I love you.
nicole

CJohnson said...

My dear family friends,
I so wish I could have attended the services and given you all a long overdue hug. I delivered a sweet baby girl May 1, 2008 and couldn't help but reflect for a moment on the circle of life and the wonderful Dr. Chris who brought me into the world 31 years ago.
May the Lord be with during this difficult time. Dr. Chris will always be remembered by me as a gentle, loving man who welcomed rowdy neighborhood children into his home as if it were our own.
Love you all,
Cynthia Terry Johnson

Stephanie Abney said...

Just wanted to tell your family that I am sorry for your loss. I remember meeting Chris and being in Chris and Jeri's home years ago when Byron was dating my daughter. They were both so gracious and hospitable. He was a kind and charming man. This is a nice tribute you have created. May your memories enrich your days.

Blessings,
Stephanie Abney in Mesa, AZ

Music to Remember Dr. Chris By